The "G" work was a detection center equipped with six palm-tree radar antennas and a UHF antenna placed on Fort Lefebvre
located at the top of Mont Salbert and better known for its ideal geographical location offering a choice panorama of the city of Belfort, the Vosges and the Jura.
Located 100m below Fort Lefebvre (1870), this is an extension and modernization of the 3 cave shelters.
The men's entrance and the equipment entrance are visible on the left as you climb to the top of the Salbert.
The military designation of this structure was “Structure G”, “Station Maître Radar 60/921” or “SMR 60/921” classified secret defense.
It is part of a set of books decided by NATO
- SMR 40/921 (work F) located in Fort François de Guise near Metz
- SMR 50/921 (structure H) located in the Maginot structure of Hochwald, near Wissembourg.
The soldiers in Book G were nicknamed "the aviators" by the Belfortians.
About 500 "airmen" lived in this complex. Many of them were also called Belgians, especially the breadwinners
The structure was equipped with an air recycling system and oil central heating, the tanks of which are always present and always fragrant
The ouvrage offered a water and energy autonomy of 3 to 4 months.
Situation: route du Salbert - CRAVANCHE
Followed rue du Salbert for 3 km, the entrance to the structure is 1 km from the summit.